Safety and Rescue Boat Handling
Monday, Apr 12, 2021 (8:00 am - 5:00 pm)
This 8-hour hands-on, on-the-water course is for anyone who will be using powerboats to perform safety and rescue functions. It is designed for regatta personnel and on-the-water sailing instructors and coaches, certification course with written and on-water skills evaluations.
- VHF radio communications
- Boat rescues, incl. capsizes
- Person in Water rescue
- Towing: astern & alongside
- Williamson turn
- Steering a range in/outbound
- Intercepting & maintaining position with moving vessel
- Use of bearings & GPS
- Search pattern
- Weather & water briefings
- VHF radio procedures
- Safety & rescue equipment & procedures
- Towing concepts
- Search patterns concepts
- Plotting a position
- Calculating tides & currents
- US Sailing/US Powerboating Safe Powerboat Handling Certificate
- Sarasota Sailing Squadron member
- Active Race Committee volunteer
Participants should dress to be on the screened porch classroom and on the water and bring their PFD and lunch. Beverages can be purchased at the bar. The Squadron is paying for this course as part of the culture of safety for race committee members. The instructor is Zac Oppenheim who taught the prerequisite Safe Powerboat Handling course. Each boat will have 2-3 participants.
- WHALER "SHOOBIE 2"